Monday, May 20, 2013

Slackers Anonymous

Anyone else having discipline issues, lately?

Our Sunday School lesson yesterday was from Proverbs 6:6-11.

Go the the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways and be wise. Without having any chief, officer or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest. How long will you lie there, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.

Hello, my name is Sluggard.

But you can call me Slacker.

I have a good friend. For the purpose of this blog let’s call her Rebekah. We’re pretty close, but we are very different.  Rebekah’s son is going on vacation with her parents next week . She told me Saturday that she already has him packed. I looked her in the eye and said “I hate you.” Seriously. Rebekah’s house is always clean and her kids never wear mismatched socks. *sigh* She’s kind of like that ant in Proverbs.

That little ant doesn’t need someone breathing down her neck keeping her on task.  I long for that kind of discipline. Our lifestyle kind of demands it. Unfortunately, I have always struggled in this area.  I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, as they say.  Not always a good plan if you’re trying to homeschool two little geniuses and keep three little girls from wandering away.
 
I feel the need to quote a little old school DC Talk. “Time is tickin away, tick tick tickin away…”  I have got to get a handle on managing my time and glorifying God through the way I spend it.  It’s a daunting task.  (I always appreciate practical advice or help with laundry.)

With all that being said, I never want to find myself so busy “being productive” that I fail to take time to appreciate simple things. There’s always a little time to cuddle with 4 little monkeys on the trampoline. Doing a little star-gazing, watching fireflies and having some in-depth conversations about why God made us. Did I mention I love my life? Grumpy baby and all. (Yeah, she’s in a phase.)

6 comments:

  1. I've FOUND myself "being too productive" to enjoy the simple things! We can help each other find that happy-medium between the two! I can come help you do laundry too!

    - "Rebekah"

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! my laundry would probably make you cry, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Shopping for Time by Carolyn Mahaney? You probably don't have time for it. I haven't read it either. But I hear it's good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read it. It's good. And I wish someone would offer to do my laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha...Laura, i actually do have it and no i have not found time to read it. i have heard it's really good too.
    Allison, Rebekah will do your laundry and immediately fold it, sort it, and put it away. cause that's how she rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not alone, Traci. I usually get the laundry washed and dried, then pile it up in a chair. Where it sits for days on end :) I very rarely have everything together. Can't imagine doing it with five!

    ReplyDelete